I get a lot of questions about this one, so I thought I’d just post the basic recipe here for all to see/use…
Basic recipe for using Game Changer brine as a pork injection is as follows:
- Use a non-acidic fruit juice or soda pop instead of water.
- I like a 50/50 ratio of apple juice and ginger ale instead of water. Ginger ale and Sprite also works very well as does peach nectar and ginger ale.
- Mix using the full strength recipe, ie: 1/2 cup brine plus 16 oz apple juice and 16 oz ginger ale.
- Inject at a ratio of 1 fluid ounce per pound of meat. So a 10 lb. butt gets 10 fl oz. of injection.
- Let injected butt rest in fridge for a minimum of 2 hours. Can let them rest for up to 8 hours if time allows.
- Apply rub liberally. My favorite for pulled pork is Competition Beef & Pork rub. If I’m doing money muscle, I’ll use Secret Weapon or Dominator (or a combination of the two).
- Cook until internal temp hits 165 degrees F.
- Double wrap in aluminum foil.
- Continue cooking until bone is loose or butt hits 191 degrees F.
- Let butt rest for an hour before pulling.